The West Cycles opened in Perth in 1902 under the proprietorship of E. Watkins and Doddemead. At some time in the 1920’s ownership passed to an enterprising fellow by the name of C.J.B. Veryard. Aside from running The West Veryard was a Perth City councillor for many years and served as Acting Mayor and Acting Coroner in his 40’s. The company sold The West branded bicycles as well as Swift and Perthside Cycles, and A.J.S. motorcycles. They marketed heavily in country areas and, aside from agents all over the state, had their own shop in Katanning.